Around the Block...North America Solo Motorcycle tour


Inspired from my motorcycle tour of Peru and Costa Rica from the previous year, I decided to put together another tour just for my self for a special purpose. This trip would be an opportunity to explore parts of our beautiful country, while catching up with old friend, making new ones, visiting family and doing some of my work along the way.

So for a short outline I plan on leaving from Berkeley on my loaded down '99 Kawasaki KLR650 and head east where I would cross through Death valley, Nevada, Utah, to stop in Colorado to visit friend then head north following the Rockies up to Calgary where I will be doing two weekends of culinary nutrition skills workshops for Wellspring Calgary (http://www.wellspringcalgary.com/). I will also be representing Living Tree community foods and meeting with a client of theirs in Calgary. Then on through Banff NP and out to Vancouver to visit more friends then on to Washington and Oregon to visit family then various scenic sights along the way, then down the hwy 1 once I hit California back to the Bay area.

I've both purposely and neglectfully minimized the amount of planning of my route and stops for this kind of trip. I did this for the purpose of enjoying the freedom and adventure that comes from figuring out where you want to go and what to do when you are actually there...for some this seems crazy, yet this is one of the fundamentals of adventurous living: Preparation is more important than planning, because any one thing can change along the way and throw off all of your best laid plans. And your rigidity can cause to miss some of the most amazing side paths and experiences.

So here is a way you can practice adventure in your daily life!
Add Image
Try going shopping for food without a plan or list of what you want and discover what looks the best and most vibrant looking produce and ask a stranger or the producer what is the best way to enjoy said foods, then follow the path that takes you on...For even more fun, invite a friend along and try to source ingredients in different ways!(such as friend/neighbors garden) (this exercise works best at the Farmers market)
ex: Tomatoes look amazing, the person you ask says its best as gazpacho, so you
search for all the necessary ingredients for that dish and anything else that
inspires you along the way.

Comments