Escape velocity...65mph


Well, about a week late I'm finally on the road! But it was worth it...working on my bike to get it outfitted, helping friends at an amazing event in the Sierras still qualifies as vacation.

I depart the Bay area with no regrets and no hang ups...oops, spoke to soon. I pull into Tracy for a pit stop and my starter relay goes out. Apparently a skinny white guy push starting an adventure bike it common site in Tracy..."no, thanks, I got it!" But as the "virgin mobile" gods were looking on me with grace as there was a friendly Kawasaki Dealer 5 minutes away. They re-rigged (I dare say fixed, you never really "Fix" things on a KLR) and got me back on the road, only after I sweat all over their comfy air-conditioned lounge for a few hours.

Climbing high through the Sierras I reached Sonora pass summit by sunset to collect some fresh Sierras water for my trip across the desert. I pass many dark figures in the night unable to see the mountains or the lakes. I pulled off the paved road to follow the short desert road to the hot springs, and just as I did my right metal pannier fell off my bike and rolled off into the night. I had to stop and laugh out loud...not sure it was the funniest thing or I was just getting road crazy!

The warm tub and quiet conversation with some architects from Palm Springs lulled me to sleep, and I crashed (in a good way) next to my bike in the open desert...

Comments