Some say they love to travel, but I believe its the destination they are dreaming of. At least thats the impression I get from seeing all the stressed out druged up depressed, irrate people at all the stations, airports, taxis, buses and vehicles. I can´t say that Im a fan either, but after years of driving as a career and my perfered optimistic outlook on life, I find humor, joy and much patience with the JOURNEY not only the destination.

The trip to Peru and beyond is no different, riddled with difficulties, joys and patience....

My trip begins in my kitchen (and will end there too), my place of home, with a last meal (the apostles never had it so good!). I have a hearty breakfast of a blended smoothie of veggie juice, blueberries, beets, sprouted nuts, avocado among other kitchen sink ingredients. Also included in my breakfast is my homade kefir musli, these things would keep me going for along time...

Depart home at 5am for a beatiful sunrise ride to the SFO airport (minus my moto boots left at the shoe repair store, first mess up). Long story short, United Air lines stinks! I miss my plane because of long pointless lines, yet I was quickly rerouted on the next flight to LAX, then on to Bogota, Columbia, then on to Lima. It wasn´t untill my flight to Lima that I remembered that I left my helmet on the flight to LAX (second mess up, goodby helmet!).

I arrive late in the evening to Lima and meet up with my trip leader, Toby, and catch a crazy taxi ride to our hotel. There is always the intial shock of entering a new culture and for me it was the crazy driving and complete disarray and filth thoughout Lima that was so shocking. Everywhere we looked buildings were left unfinished, piles of rubble and people in need. But I quickly came to appreciate this way of life, its broken, yet more honest and open...the problems are closer to the surface instead of suppressed, hidden and denied like in more developed countries.

The few days spend in the large metropolitan city of Lima are spent at our beautiful hotel (pictures above), enjoying the sites, welcoming our other travelers and getting ready for the trip. We meet up with the owners of the hotel, friend of Toby, and go to their favorite place to eat, there is my first taste of Peruvian food. Beautifully plated Ceviche (raw fish salad with lime onions an peppers). This is enjoyed with a seaweed salad and their famous Aji Ricoto (hot red pepper, which is just right on my heat scale, enough to make me cry!). Lomo Saltado (sauteed beef, with onions, tomatoes, potatoes in a gravy topped with parsley), and another seafood salad in a bright yellow pepper sauce...mmm.

We travel to a historical area of town described by the old wooden bridge (lovers bridge)that crosses over a small creek bed lined with shops and restaurants for another memorable meal of "Anticuchos". This is simply beef heart skewers grilled over a native wood. It seemed quite appropriate to serve skewered heart in an area dedicated to lovers...really it was tasty! This was served with boiled potatos and a native stock of corn (extra large kernals!) (picture above).

We welcome our other travelers and enjoy our last breakfast in Lima before departing for Cusco. The traditional breakfast, which we have everywhere we stay, is Cafe Con Leche, a simple baked white bread "bun" with jam and butter. This usually is accompanied with fresh fruit, scrambled eggs and a blended fresh fruit juice (usually papaya, pineapple or orange, at least I get something fresh and blended!). I brought my own breakfast granola and other snacks for the trip, to avoid the white bread, sugar and coffee, but I´ll enjoy the other meals of the day with our travel companions. The food and experiences is only going to get more interesting...

Comments