Beginning of new culinary adventures


Wow, is all I can say. Since I've left my previous career and business only 3 years ago, its been such an amazing ride. Many ups and only some downs, but I wouldn't give it up for the world...

I stand on the edge of another season of things growing in my backyard and in my business and ministry. I've launched a new service of my business tailored to my previous experience as an adventure guide and my current field of Therapeutic cooking and teaching. (http://www.herbnculture.com/herbn-culture-adventures.html)

So I've got a few trips already lined up for this coming summer and fall....

The first one is a biggie...a motorcycle trip with a group of Missionary Kid's on a reunion tour as we circumnavigate the country of Peru and stop to visit, serve, learn from and enjoy the peoples of the communities we visit (insert epic music here...)

In the world of South American food culture Peru is where its at and continuing to lead the way. I'm looking forward to learning some of their food preparations and customs to be able to bring that into the food services I provide.

Peru is the country that gave the world potatoes...Thank you Peru...and in return we gave them the plague...sorry. They are also famous for Ceviche (think like a raw fish salad with salsa).

Peru is considered an important center for the genetic diversity of the world's crops, with out such diversity, the conventional model of agriculture is hanging by a thread, just waiting for some super pest to decimate them (remember the Ireland Potato famine?):
  • Maize (corn), 35 varieties
  • Tomatoes, 15 species
  • Potatoes, 200 species of potato are native to the Andes region. Over 99% of all cultivated potatoes worldwide are descendants of a subspecies indigenous to south-central Chile, namely Solanum tuberosum. This subspecies has developed into thousands of varieties that vary by size, shape, color, and other sensory characteristics.
  • Sweet potatoes, 150 varieties
  • Peanuts are native to Peru and were taken by Spanish and Portuguese merchants to Africa.
  • Fruit, 650 native species
I doubt that most people have even heard of some of the staple foods from Peru such as Quinoa and the amazing medicinal food Maca. If you've never tried a different variety of any of the above foods, go search them out (healthfood stores/online) and try cooking some for your own home culinary adventures...Like the old saying goes variety is the spice of life...I would go even further to say life necessitates variety...so go plant some heirloom varieties of tomatoes and potatoes...your health and life will benefit...



On the way back from Peru I'll be stopping in Costa Rica for a week to visit and consult with a Sustainable community and educational Mountain resort, where I may move to in the future and do some work with. (insert more epic music!)

Then on to Florida to visit My ailing father and step mother to encourage, support and enjoy life with them for a time...

Please send me your comments, warnings, wisdom and jokes...and I'll keep writing about these adventures so you can enjoy them with me!

Health and Blessings,
j

Comments

  1. I love your idea of culinary adventures!
    I have one hidden place that realy fits this name of yours :), there are sooo many good foods to make. Alaskaislandretreat.com you can check it out. I was looking for seaweed fermentation receipe and found yours on youtube, thank you again!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment